The tenth anniversary of Warrior’s Weekend is fast approaching. The annual event swells the population and the hearts of all who travel to Port O’Connor to honor our wounded veterans. Anyone who has attended comes away with a profound sense that the people of South Texas are some of the most patriotic and generous soles around.
“This is perhaps the most important job we do each year,” said Bill Tigrett, owner of Tigrett Real Estate. Tigrett and his team have been working for months arranging for local housing for many of the visiting veterans and their families.
Dozens — if not hundreds — of fishing guides and sportsmen will be providing boats, rigs and bait to take the warriors and their families out into the area bays for a day of fishing on Saturday, May 21st.
The annual sand sculpture is nearing completion, as well. Involving some 230 tons of imported sand, the sculpture built in front of the community center is a remarkable, albeit temporal, landmark for visitors. Three world-class sculptors and about a dozen assistants build the masterpiece in less than three weeks.
The latest official schedule released by the Warrior’s Weekend organization provides a full and emotion-driving list of events.
Thursday, May 19, 2016
- Veterans will be arriving at Bush Intercontinental airport in Houston, greeted by well-wishers and provided snacks and lunch until all scheduled warriors arrive.
- 1:30p — Begin loading buses for the long processional to Victoria.
- 6:00p — Check into lodging in Victoria.
- 7:00p — Victoria Community Center Rib-Eye Dinner.
- 9:00p — Procession to the Warriors Weekend Field or Honor, Parkway Church, 4802 John Stockbauer. Dedication and taps.
Friday, May 20, 2016
- 7:00a — Breakfast at Victoria area hotels and checkout.
- 8:00a — Leave for schools.
- 11:00a — Jaycee Hall for lunch and proceed to weekend lodging.
- 3:00p — POC Community Center for games.
- 6:00p — Fish Fry, POC Community Center.
- 8:00p — Fun Poker Game, POC Community Center.
Saturday, May 21, 2016
- 7:00a — Breakfast, POC Community Center.
- 8:30a — Board buses for fishing.
- 9:20a – 2:30p — Family fun activities, POC Community Center.
- 1:00p – 3:00p — Weigh-in, Froggies, Bait Dock.
- 6:00p — Barbecue dinner and awards, Big Tent.
- 8:00p – 11:00p — Optional night fishing at the Sanctuary Resort Bulkheads.
Sunday, May 22, 2016
- 8:00a — Breakfast, POC Community Center.
- 10:00a — Buses leave for Houston Airport.
We hope to see everyone come out to honor our most heroic soldiers.